Friday, November 21, 2008

Silver Cored Pandora/Biagi/Troll Beads

I finally figured out how to core a large holed bead using sterling silver tubing. I followed a tutorial I found on Lampwork Etc. but I had to change something. He suggests not annealing the silver, I had to anneal it because it was just too hard. I don't have any charcoal to sit it on though so I hung it on a small mandrel and just threw it in a baby food jar filled with water when it turned orange. The annealing help out a lot, it flared very easy and didn't collapse. I need to get some stuff to polish the cores though. This bead was fumed with silver leaf, I like the webbing but not the sides of the beads. I am waiting on my fine silver I won on ebay to fume with and try out the moth bead tutorial. :)


I want to try electroforming my beads, it looks so cool. I feel the startup kit is too expensive though so I am buying my stuff little by little. I found a used digital rectifier in a local pawn shop for $52, that beats the new ones on ebay that sell for $70 plus $20 for shipping. I don't want to spend more money than I have to in these distressed times. :(



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! It looks wonderful Michelle, I'm so impressed! I really like the look of cored beads but haven't ever attempted them.

I saw that you just built a Barley Box too, I am wanting one as it's now too cold to work in my sunporch. Have you got any tips on what to do or what not to do, and can you tell me about your ventilation? I'm desperate, if I don't get something hooked up in the next week I'm going to need committing!